Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Our bags are packed!

We have packed our bags, triple checked the weight, checked in online, and are ready to head back to family and friends with open arms. As I look back on this year abroad, I chuckle at our crazy experiences when first moving here (arriving during Ramadan to an apartment with a broken fridge and oven realizing no restaurants are open during the day and it was illegal to eat in public during daytime hours), shiver remembering our icebox apartment during the winter (I swear I wore a hat, scarf, sweatshirt, and blanket and was still not totally warm), giggle with delight reminiscing about our travels to countries nearby, and ponder what I have learned about my cultural sensitivity. I don't think many people have this rare opportunity to leave their job, put everything in storage, and move across the world for a year ready for an adventure of a lifetime. But I have learned so much about myself, my husband, what we can handle together, how we can roll with the punches with smiles on our faces, and know that I will have this amazing experience to tell my grandchildren. To those of you we have met here in Jordan, you have made this year so much more interesting and fun. Your smiling faces are imprinted in my mind and soul. To those back home who have supported us through it all, you have made this year immensely easier knowing we had someone to lean on even if it was via the internet or skype. To those who may come to this part of the world one day, let us know as we have some great tips. It is an amazing place full of rich culture ready to share with those with open minds and open hearts.

To amazing travels!

No comments: